Re: Boot Error

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:59:37 +0200
"Xerath" <Xerath@isdial.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Im getting this error ever time I boot
>
> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000030 current -> tss.cr3 = 0010000, %cr3 = 00101000
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops:0002
> CPU : 0
> EIP: 0010:[<c02fd3c2>]
> EFLAGS: 00010292
> "it carrys on for a while" then says
> Kernel Panic : Attempted to kill the idle task
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> Any Help will be appreciated, (ps) this happens with everything mandrake, redhat,slackware,debian, and fbsd

Happens with everything? Find a memory checker to test your ram. Also
make sure your motherboard, CPU, ram and video are operating correctly
and reliably. Finally, check any other cards installed in your system.
Make sure you have enough ram. Given modern sizes, I recommend not less
than 64 mb. (Note, I speak from experience... I had a 256mb stick of
ram go bad... replaced it, all corruption ceased.)

In addition, I refer you to the linux hardware compatibility list,
likely at http://www.linuxdoc.org/ and mirrors thereof.

-Jim