Re: Cross-install howto

 Hi Tillman,

Chris Tillman wrote:

  This section explains how to install Debian GNU/Linux from an existing
  Unix or Linux system.

Thanks for writing that up.

This has been requested by users switching to the "best" Linux system from Redhat, Mandrake, or SUSE.

Please leave these plugs like "best" out.

(heavily cutted:)

Installing debootstrap
Running debootstrap (Using basedebs.tar)
Configuring The Base System
  OK. You've got a few things to configure that would ordinarily be
  handled by the Debian installer:
    * keyboard
    * language
    * time zone
    * partition mounting
    * networking
    * apt sources

  You need to create /etc/fstab.

$ editor /etc/network/interfaces $ editor /etc/resolv.conf -- your nameserver(s) and search directives
Sorry for my lacking knowledge about debootstrap. debootstrap doesn't run that ncurses-based, menu-driven installer tool that comes up when you boot using the Debian boot disks?

Then, this was the reason why I ditched debootstrap as option to install. Back then, I found it too cumbersome to edit all the files by hand. While it might be interesting for power users (so your write-up is useful), I think the existing, more comfortable tools should be used, if possible.

That's what I described [1]. Although not exactly being easy, these steps start the dbootstrap (without e) UI tool on the boot disks directly from the harddisk. That's why I would suggest to use the steps on my webpage (maybe made a bit easier for newbies) for this section of the Debian manual.

I think that your text would be useful as *additional* path, for people who want to control things more or want to know how it works under the hood, e.g. to change an existing system.

IMO, we would ideally have

   * a tarball with a complete, runnable Debian base system
     (so one wget, cfdisk, mkfs, tar xzf and GRUB command suffices to
     end up in Debian)
   * a tool which helps to configure the system and which can be run
     from an existing installation.
     This would help with both the cross-install and later
     modifications to an existing system (e.g. a changed network name)
     without having to edit a ton of config files.

Ben

[1] <http://www.bucksch.org/1/projects/debian/crossinst>