installation

As a newbie to this,I am trying to install Debian from floppies.My computer is a first generation pentium MMX with 75 MHz Intel processor,48 MB RAM and 850 MHz HD.
I have only DOS 6.22 on the C,drive no Windows,and want to install Debian
 gnu/linux on the extended D partition of the drive.
On an other computer I have downloaded the 1.4  base files nrs 1 thru 11 and the drivers 1 thru 4,also rescue and root as well as kernel config.
When I startup with the rescue,at the end the story tells me to insert the root diskette I follow the rest of the instructions.
Keyboeard installation is ok,when I come to HD partition I get stuck and don't know if I am correct by choosing at flags for hda Boot NC etc,after this most of the menu items will not happen,like install operating system Kernel and Modules,it tells me no root filesystem mounted what am I doing wrong and what to do for installing Debian.
I hope you can help.
regards,
otto.

ottomorroy@cq-link.sr