acard aec6280 not recognised

Hi,

my ide controller card is not being recognised by both, potato and woody. Possibly because the kernel in those two is too old.
It's an Acard AEC6280 Controller (no RAID, includes BIOS).

The card is new and works perfectly in Win98, both my primary and secondary hdd's are connected to it.

The drive's are too large to be recognised by my motherboards' controller / bios. So that's no alternative.
(Both hdd's are Western Digital 40gig Caviar).

website for controller: http://www.acard.com/eng/product/adapter/pc/ide/aec-6280.html The linux drivers are avail from: http://161.58.88.33/download/linux/driver/ide/aec6280_ver10.tar (un-compiled c).
And (i think) are included in the 2.4.x kernel versions.

I have tried the udma66 flavor of potato which supposedly includes support for the aec62xx cards (according to kernel-config).

I have read many how-to's and docs, no success.
Any suggestions, since this is my last hope to get potato installed.

Is there a way to execute the potato installation using a brand new pre-compiled kernel? I don't have another linux box, thus can't compile a new kernel with support for the controller myself.

Thanks.
--
Waheed Islam
wislam@wislam.co.uk