Re: BiDi and RTL

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 06:21:21AM -0700, David Kimdon wrote:

> For reference we'd like to be able to support installation of a 1.4Mb
> floppy.  Such a floppy fills up pretty fast, but we also will support
> CD installs.  With a CD you have lots mor espace.

We spend so much energy keeping the installer within a floppy's size. I
move to abandon that silly goal for d-i, and simply refer folks to
boot-floppies for floppy installations. It's not like it's dead and
buried, and it's a good match technology wise, 1990's software :-) with
1990's hardware. Well, you get my drift.

My reasoning is there will be so little use of floppies from here on out.
CD's are ubiquitous, the energy we spend making the installer fit in
1.4MB would be far better spent making our CD (and mini-CD) installation
flawless, and concentrating on better network (nfs/bootp/etc.) support.

If you say, well it fits fine now, why abandon it, then just review the
severe gnashing of teeth that occurred when languages were dropped. It's
far more important IMHO to support more languages than to continue to
beat the dead horse of a floppy installation.

Plus, we already have a working floppy installer! Well I guess I made
my point.