Re: BiDi and RTL

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 22:59, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> We want to support UTF-8.  Help is needed in implementing it; there is
> no point in us going into the same traps twice.

I can't think of any real traps that boot-floppies fell into.  Most of
the problems we had were either due to poor / nonexistent i18n awareness
in other programs (whiptail, for example), or were caused by the need to
support both UTF-8 and straight 8-bit builds in parallel (e.g. the
seemingly endless newt/slang ABI drama).

If d-i can nail its colours firmly to the UTF-8 mast and commit to
having that as the only supported encoding, that would be a big benefit.

p.