Cross-install howto

None of my machines have floppy drives and most of them have no removable media at all, not even CD-ROM drives. Until recently, I had no CD burner either. So, I had (and still have) the problem of installing Debian only with the harddisk and my existing OSes.

Unfortunately, the install guide doesn't describe, how to do that. All of the many ways to install Debian assume some form of removable media to boot from (or a bootable network card), even if they are called "net-only" or "hd-only".

After fiddling around long (incl. building boot-floppies), I found an easy way to achieve that. It is probably obvious for people working on the boot disks, yet I didn't find it being documented anywhere.

So, I wrote a guide myself and put it online. You can find it at <http://www.bucksch.org/1/projects/debian/crossinst>. If you want, you can integrate it (or something similar) into the Debian install manual or just link to that URL.

HTH others in my situation.

Ben Bucksch

P.S. I am not subscribed, so please cc me on followups.