Re: Woody installation on IBM 44P-170 - really close

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:27:15AM -0500, Rolf Brudeseth wrote:

> Does anybody know where I may obtain the source code for boot-floppies
> 3.0.23? PowerPC if it makes a difference.

The source is the same for all architectures, and can be found in
/pool/main/b/boot-floppies/ on any Debian mirror.  Note that you do not need
this in order to make a new rescue.bin.

> I will have to create my own rescue.bin image. What kind of image is this?
> Do I need to create a true rescue image with bootloader etc, or is this
> really just the zImage kernel? If it is a true rescue image, I would assume
> that I use yaboot? I know how to make one; however, does Debian have
> documentation how they made theirs?

This chapter in the installation manual:

http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html

explains how the rescue disk works, specifically how to replace the kernel.

--
 - mdz