Re: Testing woody on a IBM RS6000 B50

Santiago,

The B50/43P-150 systems are CHRP machines. Usually, any system with Open
Firmware is a CHRP machine. The older PCI based systems without OF are
PREP, and the even older Microchannel based systems are RS6K. The only
exception that I am aware of is the 43P-140. It does not have OF and is
from an architecture standpoint supposedly a mixture of PREP and CHRP.

I expect you will find that the CHRP rescue image will not work either.
That is what I found last time I tried. Unlike PREP, the image is not dd'ed
on to the floppy. The boot image is just copied to a dos formatted floppy.
I found that the boot image on the Debian ftp site was to big for the
floppy.

To boot from floppy:
0> boot floppy:,\image_file_name

SuSE 7.3 can be booted from CD; however, I do not know exactly how it is
accomplished.

PS: As I have posted before, I know how to compile a kernel but I have
limited knowledge of how to build a RAM disk and bootable CDs. While I am
spending a fair amount of time trying to figure this out by reading various
FAQs and HOWTOs, if somebody already has images that they want tested I
would be glad to do so. I have access to pretty much all the various
RS/6000 and pSeries systems available.

PSS: If someone has technical questions pertaining to RS/6000 and pSeries
systems you can send them my way as well. I will forward them to the
internal Linux group.

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth