Re: Some problems and questions...

On 15 Apr 2002, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > As to the "Neighbour Table Overflow" error, I've seen it since Potato on
> > several 486 and Pentium machines, both SCSI and IDE.
>
> Ok, we've changed the klogctl for 3.0.23 (3.0r1) boot-floppies -- it
> should suppress all kernel messages completely from console.  You can
> still find them in the logs though.

Great! Where do I get a set to test? (Not in the woody archives yet ;-)

> > The kernel comes from
> > the boot floppies found in the 1.44 directory (boot, root, and drivers).
>
> That is what we call the "vanilla flavor".

I prefer chocolate, but I'll take what I can get ;-)

> > If not there, then they are the kernel provided by the first CD. (I
> > think these two are the same...)
>
> Well, not any more they aren't!

I've got someone making me a CD on Monday next. Look forward to that!

> > On my own machines, I build a custom kernel with just the drivers I need,
> > and I never see this error. My suspicion is that I must build a custom
> > boot kernel for replacement on the floppy to avoid this, but maybe I can
> > get rid of it by using a different boot kernel from the archives...
>
> Yes, any of the other kernels would probably works:
>
>   idepci  -- for non-SCSI machines
>   compact -- for SCSI machines
>   bf2.4   -- Linux 2.4 based

I tried this one before I got the vanilla batch this last release, and I
was surprised at how different the intall appears. I'm not prepared to do
two sets of screen shots in my book just because of space limitations.

Which would you suggest? (I guess I'll have to see what's on the next CD)

> > I'm also looking for some other hardware to test this on, so I
> > should have some better answers this evening.
>
> Thanks.  Your testing helps us move forward...

I appreciate that statement more than you can know.

I got shorted on time last weekend, and didn't finish my "drivers"
testing. Hopefully I can finish that project this weekend.

Thanks for all the fine work this team does, and specific thanks to Adam
for being a consistent point of focus and communication.

Keep up the Great work!

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-