Re: Multiboot with ElTorito

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 10:11:19PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Hello Klaus,
>
> I remember you have been using the multiboot option of ElTorito
> (specifying -eltorito-alt-boot option of mkisofs). There were
> considerations to use the same method for the Debian CDs. Could you make
> a summary about your experience with this method?
>
> Gruss/Regards,
> Eduard.

Short Summary:

- Multiboot seems to be supported on a very limited number of the tested
  PCs (the BIOS SHOULD show a menu of the available Bootimages, you
  can't chose a name for them though, but most BIOSes just jump right
  into the bootloader of the first image).

- Since some people with BIOSes that DO support multiple bootimages were
  confused about the shown menu (they did not understand that "Floppy
  Image" does not mean they are booting from the floppy drive, and just
  kept hitting control-alt-del), I switched back to the old method with
  a single bootimage, and offer a separate CD on which the english
  bootfloppy is default now.

In case you plan to ship Woody CDs with multiple boot images, I recommend
that you don't rely on everyones BIOS to support that option, and expect that
90% of all PCs boot straight from the first image without letting you
chose anything. Rather put an autostarting rawrite menu on the CD that
lets people create the correct bootfloppy for the specific kernel used
for the installation procedure. I do hope that an Reiserfs/ext3+scsi
kernel will be present in the menu of choices somewhere. ;-)

-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org