Re: Malformed Release File

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:44:57AM -0800, Matt Kraai wrote:
> pkgdetails already parses wget's output and passes progress
> information directly to the boot-floppies, so I don't see how
> also returning error messages is breaking new ground.

Well, realise that I'm the author, and I'm not convinced of this at all.

> It seems more robust for debootstrap to return a meaningful
> error message, rather than the boot-floppies having to guess why
> it failed.

debootstrap doesn't return a meaningful error message: that it couldn't
get a valid release file. The wording could probably be improved, but
that's a meaningful description of the problem. Randomly returning, eg,
"02:36:06 ERROR 404: Not Found." isn't particularly reliable, IMO.

The alternative, which I'd like you to actually consider, is to have
boot-floppies actually attempt to download the Release file itself in
advance of calling debootstrap for http/ftp. This isn't particularly hard,
you just need to call wget, and, if you want, parse the output. It lets
you just issue an error message as soon as they enter a mirror that says
"hey, I can't get to your mirror", rather than having to backtrack after
calling debootstrap.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey