Re: trying to clean up a bit with the questions concerning 'Initialize...' [success!]

Hello Chris

To make it straight: it finally worked (well, not getting the 'Initialize..'
to work, but to get debugging output out of the system)!!

> Only that I said I thought it had been fixed. Let me 'splain a little
> more about that.  I was seeing dbootstrap restart at the point during
> kernel install when it mounted a partition, in December I think. There
> were several bugs at the time about it, IIRC.
>
> Anyway, I made a bunch of changes in the code that mounts and unmounts
> partitions, and cleaned that problem up. I think my initial assumption,
> that you were seeing the same problem, was wrong.
>
> I just had an inspiration. Someone put in debugging code to help when
> we get segfault problems. It won't show the registers for your arch,
> but it will at least give a backtrace which may prove helpful to
> someone around here.
>
> The way you activate it, is add debug to your boot arguments. It's
> supposed to give you a backtrace on stderr. Can you try that with
> the troublesome kernel?

I now invoked the whole thing with

bootstrap --apus -v -k apus/vmlinuz-2.4.17-apus -r apus/images-1.44/root.bin
root=/dev/ram video=pm2fb:mode:1024x768-75 debug

It started up normally, well hola, I could see some more output now on
vc1 (which is quite interesting when compared to the dmesg output, as it
doesn't match.. the dmesg AmigaOS side output I've posted in my last mail
seemed to be a bit screwed up. Could it be that logging to mem doesn't worked
correctly?), then I went on in the installation until the now 1000 times
mentioned menu point, and tataa, it presented me with:

*** Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
/sbin/dbootstrap [0x1000ac60]
[0x7fffe958]
/sbin/dbootstrap [0x10015520]
/sbin/dbootstrap [0x1001047c]
/sbin/dbootstrap [0x1000f378]
Debian GNU/Lin /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0x170) [0xfecb640]
*** Press RETURN to continue

Well, I don't know if the output is represented correctly this way, as it was
quite screwed up on the display (the beginning of the lines were shifted
against each others). The "Debian GNU/Lin" part in the message seems to come
from the screen displayed before the debug output appeared.

I hope I have copied all the numbers correctly.

In parallel, on vc3 I could read (right before the segfault):

    Mar 19 ... (none) user.info dbootstrap [60]: formatting swap partition
/dev/hda2

then, the segfault output appeared, and, after pressing return, it
went onwards with:

    Mar 19 ... (none) user.info init: Process 'sbin/udbootstrap' (pid 57)
exited. Scheduling it for restart.
    Mar 19 ... (none) user.info init: Starting pid 75, console /dev/console:
'/sbin/udbootstrap'
    Mar 19 ... (none) user.info dbootstrap[78]: dbootstrap starting; built
2002.03.15-16:02+0000 for powerpc

Of course there has been some more output on vc3, but those lines I copied
here are right around the 'Initialize..' (and no other line was between the
lines listed here!).

Well, now I hope you can do something with the runes printed here!! ;)

--
Best wishes and kind regards,
Andi