Re: verbose & quiet

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 02:11, Chris Tillman wrote:
> Here's a list of the effects verbose and quiet have on dbootstrap.
>
> verbose:
> For LiveCD, ask for the install media (should be livecd)
> Always ask which mountpoint to mount volumes to
> Warn that earlier kernels do not support newer filesystems
> Warn that pre-2.4.1 kernels do not support ReiserFS 3.6

I don't think there is much point having "verbose" turn on extra stuff
that is purely informational, like the latter two items.  It would be
better to remove the messages from dbootstrap altogether and just
mention the issues in the manual.

> quiet:
> Suppress confirm before writing the aboot bootloader
> Suppress confirm before overwriting master boot record
> Suppress 'Important Information about installed MBR'
> Don't ask for confirm if only one archive path was found

That last one sounds like something that should be suppressed by default
and only enabled with "verbose".

> Should this be documented somewhere? Or is it fairly useless info that
> will be difficult to keep up to date?

It's probably useful information for some.  If nothing else, the
documentation should definitely mention the general principle that
"quiet" reduces the amount of user interaction and "verbose" increases
it.

I doubt we will be making all that many more changes to this stuff
before woody is released, and even a slightly incomplete list would be
better than nothing.  So, I think it should be included.

p.