problem: installing Linux 2.2 r4 "Potato"

i'd like to install debian linux, but my monitor shuts off every time after the kernel recogniced the harddisk...
it even is not possible to restart my pc with ctr-alt-del...

i think after recognizing the hd, it should switch into graphical mode.
i had the same problem with suse 6.2, i think - i didn't test a never version. the installation of redhat 7.x works fine!

my system:
amd athlon, ecs k7s5a (sis 735), hercules 3dprophet 7500 (kyro 2).

mfg

Jan Nothacker