problem booting because of keyboard

hello,
I recently copied the last stable release, 2.2.r5 and tried to install it, but have a problem with the keyboard.
my machine is a recent PC (Packard Bell), with a somewhat weird Packard Bell keyboard (french AZERTY).
trying the setup, I can get to the first page, and use the keyboard, including F1, ... and enter. I then get the boot bessages, including

TIMEOUT - AT keyboard not present ?
(twice)

with a screen waiting to press Continue, which I can't do because the kbd is no longer recognized here.

I had a look at the faqs, in http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/install.en.txt (that is the next release) I find the section 3.6.3.4. USB keyboards
which explains a bit about the problem, but can't help me.
in my BIOS, I find
USB controller: All USB
USB Device Legacy support: All Device (alternatives are none or no-mice). that would seem to be ok then

question: is this new section in the woody install pages good also for 2.2r5? if so, what is my problem?
any Ideas as to how I can get around it? some magic parameter to pass to boot?