Demographic analysis of debian user's language (was Re: b-f one-liner needs translating

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 08:07:57AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> Question.  How many Catalan speakers will be unable to get by with one
> of the es, fr or maybe even pt versions?
>
> # I have no idea how close the languages are, but methinks most people
> # would at least be rather heavily exposed to one of these.

	I do not want to go over a language-battle but most of the people
Jordi pointed out would be able to use 'es' or 'fr' installations.
However, they would probably be more comfortable by using their main
language.

	In any case, just a suggestion: why not make a language-contest in
Debian (for next relese please)? Similar to popularity contest users could
download a package that sent their (user's? system's?) locale settings to
Debian in order to gather more information on these issue.

	Debian developer's country's and Translation-team's sizes are
(most of the time) a useful measure of how many users benefit from a given
but might not be as accurate as above.

	I'm quite surprised, for example, that after putting the
euro-support package I have received over a hundred mails with user's
locale settings (and their euro configuration) in (more or less) three
months. And users had to *mail* that information to me (it was not done
automatically).

	Regards

	Javi