Re: woes and accolades

On 3 Mar 2002, Philip Blundell wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 17:39, James Vahn wrote:
> > I found that basedebs.tar was missing pppoeconf, and at the end of the
> > first phase of the install, "Reboot System" would not let go of my CD
> > tray, still mounted.
>
> I expect this is another manifestation of #135504, which in turn seems
> to be a thinly disguised version of our old friend #123948.

Of course- <slap!> Silly me.
<chuckle> Those things are hard to follow!  You must keep notes, eh?

But the CD isn't released until POST time, and you have to be quick
or the machine will boot from it again, just like the warning said.
"You should open the tray, but I won't let you."  It would be clever
to eject and close the tray as part of the process.

> > A relatively minor nit: the top of the screen says
> > "F4 to debug"- I'm pretty sure that it's F3 we're looking for.
>
> Is this the base installation you're talking about, or something else?

Yes, the screens from rescue/root.  The F4 screen is blank.

Also, why does it "validate" basedebs?  A slow process that I *think*
an error from tar would serve the same purpose, assuming I understand
correctly that the purpose is a package integrity test.