Re: `host name' vs. `hostname'

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 14:50, Matt Kraai wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am pleased to report that earlier today I was able to install
> Debian Woody on my iBook2 using the new-powermac flavor without
> any serious problems.  However, I did find some minor issues
> that I'd like to fix.

Did you make a separate /boot partition?  I've gotten one report that
the code which tries to prevent you from making a /boot with an
incorrect filesystem type is itself incorrect.  It would be great if you
could try beating on that part of the installer a bit; try making /boot
ext3, HFS (shouldn't work), etc.

I really wish UML worked on PowerPC; then it would be a lot easier to
test the partitioning code.

> Which term is preferred, `host name' or `hostname'.  The
> boot-floppies use both on the same screen, and some consistency
> would be nice.  FOLDOC lists it as one word[1,2], but the
> hostname manual page uses two.  Any preference?

I think you'll have people telling you both are correct.  It's a lot
like "filesystem" versus "file system".  The former is very popular in
common usage, but you'll usually only see the latter in formal works.