non-recognition of hard drive(s) in AMD Athlon w/KT7A-RAID mb running RAID 0 (striping) w/2 Quantum Fireball 30 Gig hard drives on IDE 3 & 4 controllers

Hello,

I am doing something for my first time:  building my own system and installing Debian Linux 2.2r3.  Everything seems to work fine until I reach the part in the dbootstrap program where I need to partition my hard drive(s).  At that point, the installer pgm basically says "you don't have any hard drives."  I physically do, but it doesn't see them and I can't proceed with installing Linux.

This is my system:
    OS:                 Debian Linux 2.2r3 (ONLY)
    CPU:               AMD Athlon 1 G.
    MB:                ABIT KT7A-RAID (I've set the BIOS to use RAID 0 (striping) for performance enhancements
    CD-ROM:        I/O Magic
    CD-Burner:      Pacific Digital
    ZIP drive:         Iomega 100
    Floppy:           Generic
    Hard Drives:    Quantum Fireball 30 GIG (2) bought as "BARE" drives

I have installed all the hw, checked that all cables were secure, power supplied to devices, etc.  I put the CD-ROM disc1 of the OS in my CD-ROM drive and it begins the boot process.

Everything seems to be recognized except the hard drives.  The two CD devices are IDE.  One is mounted on the mb IDE 1 controller, along with the ZIP drive.  The other CD-ROM is connected to the mb IDE 2 controller.   The mb has 2 more controllers (IDE 3 & 4) for UDMA-100.  On each I have connected a Quantum drive.

Note that I have not formatted or partitioned the hard drives.  Without an OS, it's tough to do that!  I have, after the dbootstrap pgm started, "alt'd" into the linux prompt.  I ran the following commands:
   e2fsck /dev/hda -> read only file system.  not ext2 format.
   e2fsck /dev/hdb -> device not configured
   e2fsck /dev/hdc -> device not configured
   e2fsck /dev/hdd -> read only file system
   e2fsck /dev/md0 -> attempt to read block for filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/md0.
                               Could this be a 0-length partition?
I also ran cfdisk.  It defaulted to /dev/hda and was read only.  I did get some practice on how to use the cfdisk cmd.

My initial thought is that I shomehow need to format the Hard drives that are RAID0'd together to be seen as one unit. (I don't, however, know the exact syntax to do that.)  If the Linux system saw them as one unit and I knew that name, like /dev/md0, I think the dbootstrap installer program would allow me to partion it/them and proceed in my Linux installation.

I would certainly appreciate any help that could be provided in getting over this hurdle.

Thanks,

Rob