Re: non-recognition of hard drive(s) in AMD Athlon w/KT7A-RAID mb running RAID 0 (striping) w/2 Quantum Fireball 30 G hard drives on IDE 3 & 4 controllers

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 06:59:56PM -0800, Robert L. Bransford wrote:

> This is the system I have put together:
>     OS:                   Debian Linux 2.2r3 (only)
>     Motherboard:    ABIT KT7A-RAID.  I have set this up in the BIOS to use RAID 0 (striping) for performance enhancement.

I think this software RAID is definitly the problem.
(I'm very sure this is not supported in 2.2 and I don't know if it is in
recent kernels supported, but I don't think so)

You should use hardware RAID (transparently for the software) or the
software RAID functionality in the linux kernel, but i don't think that the
performance gain will be big at all (without special applications).

Christian Leber

  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)
  Translation: <http://gnuhh.org/work/fsf-europe/augustinus.html>