Re: Weird problems with 3.0.19 on a laptop

This came as html mail, I'm including the test here:

> (sorry about the mime, if any.. i'm using hotmail)(sorry about the bad wording too...)
>
> I have a compaq presario 1220 POS laptop (200mhz cyrix mediagx w/80mb ram/2gb
> hard drive). I am trying to install debian on it with boot-floppies
> 3.0.19 and i have had several errors. The first time i tried it, i
> managed to do a net install over my school's LAN with dhcp and it downloaded
> the base packages with no problems... I took it home and went to step 2,
> and this is where the problem starts.. First of all, it froze when syncing
> hardware clock and sysclock, but that is the laptop's fault... On tty1, it says
> configuring base system, and it just sits there. After about 30 mins, i
Am I correct that this is after you have rebooted into the new system,
in which case this should be a bug assigned to base-config.

> went over to tty2, and did ps -ax, and i noticed it was trying to display it on
> pts/0... i killed some random processes, and i was just gonna do dselect and
> whatnot manually, but it won't let me get rid of all of base-config's child
> processes... I did a second try (this time, with a bootable cd made from
> rescue.bin with drivers.tgz on it) and now it won't let me manually set
> the network settings... after the network configuration, it says "The
> network was not initialized properly... it will work when you reboot, if you
> configured it correctly"... So i switched over to tty2, used ifconfig and
> route to configure my ethernet interfaces...
can you please provide more details about how you were configuring the
network, are you sure that you didn't type anything incorrectly?

> it let me go to the next
> step, but then it said it downloaded a malformed release file... i have
> tried using basedebs.tar (although i had to mess around and manually gzip it to
> make the installer recognize it)
Does anyone know if this is fixed in cvs yet?

> and it still gives me the same problem
> after reboot... are there any bugreports on this, or does anybody know
> what i'm doing wrong?
It sounds like we need a bug report on base-config.

> Also, i noticed that the woody installer no longer
> asks about sid. How the heck am i supposed to install sid without
> dist-upgrading from woody?
you aren't, installing sid from boot-floppies is no longer supported.

-David