Re: Testing boot-floppies on iMac

On Sam, 2002-02-16 at 21:27, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> After all packages were installed, I set about trying to get X working, and
> (after using the debconf prompts to get an initial configuration) co-workers
> and I fiddled with it for some time before discovering that we had to
> specify the PCI BusID in XF86Config-4, and google for the correct monitor
> sync information.  I don't know why I had to specify the BusID, as it
> detected the video card (an ATI) at the correct PCI bus/slot/func during
> initialization.  I had a Device section specifying Driver "ati", but until I
> added the BusID parameter, it said that it couldn't find a matching device
> section for the card.

A device section without a bus ID is normally assigend to the primary
adapter; unfortunately, the primary adapter isn't recognized reliably
yet on Macs. Providing the bus ID is the safe bet, and there's a debconf
question for it now.

> Also, how can I help to test future PowerPC boot-floppies?  Is there some
> way to network-boot this beast, or do I have to continue to use CD-Rs?

You can boot the installer kernel with the ramdisk from HD with yaboot,
or am I missing something?