boot from CDROM on IBM Thinkpad A30p hangs

My new Thinkpad A30p has no floppy drive, so one of the admins here
burned a CDROM with the rescue disk, Debian 2.2 r4 i3.
When I boot from this CD, and hit enter to begin the default
installation, the (I believe) usual hardware detection messages appear,
but also these:

  PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, VID=8086,
DID=248a
  PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

This is followed by lines for ide0, ide1, hda, hdc, ide0 (on irq 14),
ide1 (on irq15), hda, hdc, Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11, and
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M.

Then it reports:

  Floppy0: no floppy controllers found

But that's okay because I disabled them and enabling them has no effect
on what happens next.  There is no floppy drive on this machine, so I
thought it best to leave it disabled in the BIOS.

The last thing is the line:

  Md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8

Then it hangs.

How can I install?

Richard Staehli
rstaehli@acm.org