Keyboard timeout during 2.2r3 install CD kernel boot

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2r3 from CD on an Athlon 1.2GHz with an
Asus A7A266 motherboard, using a standard PS/2 keyboard.

After the CD has initially booted into the Lilo screen, I can use the
keyboard. But after I press Enter to start the install and the kernel
loads, the keyboard freezes up and get the following error twice in
succession in the kernel startup messages: "keyboard: Timeout - AT
keyboard not present?"

I've searched the debian-boot archives and I found 2 other people (one just
this last week) who have had the same problem on the same hardware, but I
didn't see any solution posted in reply to their emails.

Kernel 2.4 works since a Mandrake 8 install CD sees the keyboard.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,
Gordon