spurios crashes of dbootstrap, a trace...

hi,

I've been testing b-f on PReP for a while, and encountered strange
crashes (or restarts) of dbootstrap at the end or after the
debootstrap step -- this is related to the serial console install
problems related in #126370.

now, the conclusion I've come to is that by disabling line 89 in
debootstrap's "woody" shell script, which reads

87:    cat <$TARGET/dev/initctl >/dev/null &
88:    CAT_PID=$!
89:    on_exit "kill $CAT_PID >/dev/null 2>&1"

dbootstrap has a chance to survive the end of debootstrap; looks like
that kill, which seems to just show up as "NNNN: no such pid" when
you look closely, somehow manages to take dbootstrap with it.

my manual tests have shown that dbootstrap's exit code in this case
is 143, which I also can't explain: apart from some "exit(1)"
statements, the only one which sets such a high value is the
exit(128+sig) at crash.c:45, but that is in a signal handler which
only gets installed for SEGV, as far as I follow the code. 143 is 128
+ SIGTERM.

well, I'm a bit confused -- the only clear thing is that with that
line commented out, stuff which occurs in dbootstrap after
debootstrap is finished does happen, while without that change it
crashes reproducibly (and I've done quite a few test runs this night).

I hope somebody can solve that mystery...

ciao,

cm.

--
** christian mock in vienna, austria -- http://www.tahina.priv.at/~cm/
Rechtlich gesehen, besteht kein Anspruch auf Weiterleitung von