Cannot mount previously-initialized ext3 filesystem

I'm not bothering to file a real bug about this unless someone tells me
otherwise, because it's an odd case and we all want to get a stable release
out the door.  But I'm sending a message here so that if it happens to be
trivial to fix, someone will do it.

I was testing s390 installation under Hercules.  Because the installer does
not seem to currently support FBA disks, and that is what I must use due to
a bug with ECKD disks, I had to initialize and mount my root filesystem
manually.  This would not be a problem, except that dbootstrap doesn't
recognize that I have done so.

If I:

1. mke2fs device
2. mount on /target
3. "Mount a previously-initialized partition"

dbootstrap (as expected) tells me that it can't find any suitable
partitions, but then after "continue", notices that I have mounted it and
moves on.

If instead, I:

1. mke2fs -j device
2. mount on /target
3. "Mount a previously-initalized partition"

dbootstrap leaves me at the "partition a hard disk" step with no way to
continue.

--
 - mdz