INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast .....

Hi,
	I recently installed kernel 2.4.14 on hdb, fixed up a minor LILO problem -
and for a while it worked. I was impressed with the boot speed and the
number of
drivers...

	Yesterday, however, when I tried to boot up it worked until gdm and I
received the following messages:

"Starting Gnome Display Manager: gdm.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."

and so on.

I have unsuccessfully tried to boot in via disk and CD-ROM but I always
get more of the above.

How do I fix this ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb3@primus.com.au