Re: One should be patient with root.bin and modules.dep

On Mon Jan 07, 2002 at 01:19:42AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:
>
> > How about adding this to boot-floppies/utilities/dbootstrap/main.c
> >
> > -	/* Downgrade kernel verbosity */
> > -	klogctl(8, NULL, 4);
> > +	/* Don't let the kernel printk stuff to the console. */
> > +	klogctl(6, NULL, 0);
>
> Well, I'd love to if either (a) I understood what this meant, or (b)
> someone had testing this and shown that it works.

man 2 syslog

klogctl is the libc name for the syslog system call.  As is, we
tell the kernel is is fine to spam the console (i.e.  even when
dbootstrap is running) as long as the priority is less then 4
(KERN_WARNING).

Since we log everything to the syslog (i.e. the sysklogd proces
which is why libc changed the syscall name to something less
confusing), there is no need to spam the console.

So 'klogctl(6, NULL, 0);' can be used to disable all printk's
to console.  If people want to see what the kernel has to say,
(like that module foo didn't load) they can visit the syslog
output on another VT,

 -Erik