URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

Hi. With the help of this list I've got a woody megaraid set of boot
floppies made up. All is going well until the base system install.

I'm trying to do this through our firewall on 10.0.0.1:8000. On console
2 I can ping ftp.uk.debian.org successfully.

I punch in the following:
Download URL : http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
Proxy		 : 10.0.0.1
Proxy port	 : 8000

And get the message
"Malformed release file
http://ftp.uk.debian.org:80/debian/dists/woody/Release.

I've tried downloading the release file and the Contents-i386.gz file
(is this right?) to a local Linux box running Apache. However the
install system reports that http://10.0.0.23/dists/woody/Release is also
malformed.

I'd be really grateful for some pointers for how to go from here.

Thanks
Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange