Re: choose_medium() and choose_archive_dir()

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 10:58:33PM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> i'm working on getting rid of the /instmnt messages for
> choose_archive_dir(). i have successfully gotten rid of it, and only
> some cosmetic issues remain. i will submit my patches, even if i do not
> get the cosmetic issues entirely worked out.
>
> the usability issue i have found is this:
>
> the comments for choose_archive_dir indicate that if we use `mounted',
> we should be able to look through the root filesystem (the ramdisk, and
> all other mounted partitions, including /target) wherease if we chose
> ``harddisk'' then we should be limited to under /instmnt.

That's the way it's supposed to work. IOW, if the installer mounts the
disk ('harddisk'), it uses /instmnt, and then unmounts /instmnt when
it's finished.

> choose_medium.c:209
> /*
>    text - the message displayed that tells the user what the directory will
>         be used for
>    prefix - the default prefix, either "/" for things on the root filesystem
>         or "/instmnt/" for things that we mounted for the user
>
> */
> static int choose_archive_dir(char *text, char *prefix)
>

> however, in choose_medium, this comment is ignored, and we are forced to
> use /instmnt anyway:
>
> choose_medium.c:14
> #define CM_MOUNTPOINT_DIR "/instmnt/"
>
> choose_mdeium.c:1321
>     case MED_mounted:
>         if (disqtype == problem_report )
>           status = choose_archive_dir(
>                   _("Please choose the directory where you would like to save the problem report."), CM_MOUNTPOINT_DIR);
>         else
>           status = choose_archive_dir( _("Please choose the directory where the Debian archive resides."), CM_MOUNTPOINT_DIR);
>         if (status == DLG_CANCEL)
>             return DLG_CANCEL;
>         break;
>

> so my question:
> forcing /instmnt seems wrong, since we umount /instmnt at the end of
> choose_archive_dir (the exception seems if the user hit cancel).

BTW, it should be unmounted on Cancel. I noticed that quirk a while back.
Cancel takes the user back to the main menu, where the state was
[/instmnt unused].

> should we use /target, or / ?
> my initial thought was /target, since the only other mounted partitions
> would be there (such as, re-using a /var partition, but putting the
> drivers.tgz and rescue.bin in there first). the comments seem to imply /

I think even /instmnt is really /target/instmnt. Since the installer
often operates in the /target chroot, /target is really the only safe
choice, ISTM. Or maybe it's actually already inside the chroot here?

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |