Re: 3.0.18 plan

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:28:30AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:19:06PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > FYI, I have i18n powerpc boot-floppies also building if anyone wants
> > > to test that..
> >
> > I fired those up that you put there, and got the flashing screen
> > effect. The boot message just before that started was Freeing kernel
> > memory, I think that's when the root disk gets loaded.
>
> Those were an old version, please try again.
>
> > Looking at the flashing screen messages from last month, the libnewt
> > libraries needed special care. Was that done on your powerpc machine?
>
> Everything that needs to be done should be encoded in make check.  So
> it should be sufficient for me to say that 'make check' succeeded on
> that build.

I was able to build powerpc last night. To get it to build, I:

1) remove libnewt-pic and slang-pic, install libnewt-utf and slang-utf
2) download the source for bogl-bterm 0.1.8 and build for powerpc
  (I don't know why that wasn't working last night, but I got some
  build experience anyway)
3) set LANG_CHOOSER in config
4) change rootdisk.sh to let powerpc in on internationalization

But, when I tried to boot it I got the flashing screen stuff. It
flashed a few times but came back to print additional lines, the last
line it printed before continously flashing was

input2: USB HID V0.01 Mouse

> Just try again, 3.0.18-2001-12-08 images.

I'll do that now and let you know what happens.

--
*--v------ Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For PowerPC -----v----*
|  <http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-     |