Re: [again] basedebs.tgz: Supported or not?

Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:

> I understand there is a capability provided to use a basedebs.tgz
> file to install base from the hard disk in lieu of a network
> install. This was particularly needed for those who connect via a
> modem, because ppp is not available in the pre-base installer
> system.
>
> But there still isn't any basedebs.tgz in the built distribution
> yet, AFAIK. And as a result, I haven't documented how to use
> it. That is a big hole in boot-floppies, and in the docs, in fact I
> read here this week that it was unacceptable and I agree.

I don't think we need to regenerate the basedebs.tgz at every build
of b-f, especially now that base is frozen.  As far as I understand
things, the basedebs.tgz is essentially independent of b-f.  It's
just a snapshot of woody at a particular time.

I guess what we will have to do is generate it occasionally and dump
it in the current/ directory of disks-$ARCH on the mirrors.

It kind of sucks to add a large tarball to the mirrors of what is
essentially just the .debs they are already mirroring, plus a little
extra data, but I don't see a way around it.

Opinions/corrections?