Re: 2.4.x boot floppies, was: Vulnerable SSH versions

Jørgen Hermanrud Fjeld <jhf@hex.no> writes:

> Hi.
> Although it might sound stupid, my question is:
> Will there ever come a time when making 1220 boot floppies with 2.4.x kernel
> will be doable?
> If I assume that it's the kernel size that makes it difficult, then it
> doesn't matter wether we use boot-floppies or debian-installer.
> This leads me to believe we can't ship with 2.4 kernel until we drop debian
> support for 1220 floppies.
> Is this correct?

How small can you make a 2.4 kernel? Surely you can get it below 1.2
MB. The ramdisk can be split over several disks, its just ugly. If
essential drivers have to be removed from the kernel they can be
placed on the ramdisk or preloaded from the drivers disk set.

The thing is, do we realy need those disks anymore? Is there any user
out there with only such a drive, no cdrom and >12MB ram? Do 12 MB
even last for a 2.4 kernel during install?

People with such old hardware are probably better of with bo or hamm
or potato. They probably need the low-mem target too.

Maybe we should add hardware info to the popularity contest package to
see how many of each hardware are out there.

MfG
        Goswin