Re: 3.0.15 missing ne2k-pci module?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:31:03AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> To "download", you first have to get root mounted. And the source, of
> course. This may be a NIC (any type!) or a harddisk with a filesystem.

I presume you mean the target root?  It's already mounted by the time
the driver disks are installed.  Of course, you can also download to a
Ramdisk.

By download, I mean from a Debian archive (i.e., mirror).

> > I think the most common modules needed to get the system up and running
> > would even fit into root.bin (at least for 1.44MB floppies).  Imagine,
> > zero driver disks for most common configurations ...
>
> Please count the needed space and wake up soon. The only drivers I would
> drop from the floppy disks are all the multimedia devices.

I don't think so.  Consider this.  Currently, all the required drivers
are compiled into the kernel.  But suppose we have a stripped-down
kernel with networking, tmpfs and as many common NIC drivers as will
fit compiled-in, but basically everything else non-essential (SCSI, IDE,
RAID, fat) as modules.

On the initrd, linuxrc configures the network and downloads a larger
ramdisk image (e.g., from a Debian archive) into a ramdisk, load any
modules the installer wants, changes root and runs dbootstrap.

It might even be possible to fit it onto a single floppy (obviating gzip
and tar on the initrd and the floppy driver compiled into the kernel).
I'm not being starry-eyed here; I actually used a custom rescue disk to
configure a Megaraid SCSI controller with busted firmware, set up LVM,
bring up the network and download the rest I needed to install Potato.

Regards,

Mark.