Re: [ANNOUNCE] GRUB + CD + Extended Floppy Formats

Hello,

The patches for CD and extended floppy format will be sent tonight to
the GRUB mailing list (time for me to document the ChangeLog since I
have changed a bunch of things).

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 08:27:51PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Thierry Laronde wrote on Mon Oct 01, 2001 um 08:22:10PM:
>
> > I have worked in order to allow GRUB to be used on CD (for 1.2, 1.44,
> > 2.88 and HD emulation modes) and to be used on floppies with extended
> > formats (i.e. blocks of 512, but a non-standard number of cylinders
> > and/or sectors, for example 1680Ko and 1743Ko).
>
> Nice. I guess this means we don't have to provide 2.88M images for
> booting CDs and GRUB reads kernel and initrd from the CD.

The problem will be that GRUB is ix86 specific, so this means that one
has still to focus on giving the smallest system, but these can be
gathered in a single bootable image (in HD emulation mode) giving the
user the ability to launch whatever kind of installation matches his
needs.

> > Now, CD works, and extended formats are on the way. I have still some
> > work to do with extended formats, but the work should be achieved at the
> > end of the week.
>
> Any working snapshots? buxy (debian-cd maintainer) is allways accepting
> patches, so I guess it is not too late for woody.

As said before, patches will be given tonight to the GRUB mailing list.
I urge people to test since all work for me, but only on my machine ;)

> > For Debian, between others, using GRUB on a CD in _HD emulation_ will
> > allow to display several GRUB menus, say a first menu to choose the
> > language of the installation, then a localized menu displaying choices
> > between different flavours of installation. IMHO, the correct way to go
>
> Nice, very nice. Is it also possible to enter additional boot parameters
> after going trough the menus?

Yes, GRUB allows to edit the entries.

> > is to have _one_ modular kernel and several different initrd on the same
>
> This is complicated for current BFs using the 2.2.x kernels. But it is
> good for keeping _one_ boot kernel for each flavour (5 or 6 on i386),
> having multiple localized root images.

Since there is no limit (one can imagine a HD bootable image as huge as
the CD minus the iso information in fact), we can add whatever we want.
But I think the best way is only to change the modules put in the
initrd, and to keep the number of kernels as small as possible, that is
if option not modularized are not conflicting with each other, put
everything on a kernel (one choice can be an installation on a very small
memory system with the smaller kernel, and this will require another customized
kernel).

> > disks). More explanations will be given when the patches will be
> > published (on the GRUB list for the patches; on the 3 lists for the
> > explanations/HOWTO).

Patches on the GRUB list archives today night (on the GNU site:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ and follow the link), explanations on
GRUB, HURD and BOOT lists.

Cheers,
--