Re: Mark Montague: success report with sparc and hppa cd images (with minor issues)

Brian White wrote:
> Good catch!  For now, I'll just omit the warning since the situation
> can happen during normal operations.

Brian -- I've filed a bug report on this with two ways to fix the
problem well w/o dropping the warning. I didn't realize you were so
on top of this, sorry.

And BTW, I really wish you'd reconsider your stance on bug #34294, which
has a direct bearing on this problem. If /etc/mailcap were not a
conffile, and were maintained and generated in your preinst, you would
not have to work around this problem at all. Conffiles that are modified
by maintainer scripts are always a violation of policy, no matter how
rarely this causes dpkg to unnecessary prompt the user. We have only
become more and more clear on this point, and more and more strict about
enforcing it in the nearly 3 years since Santiago originally filed the
bug. If that bug had been filed today it would have a severity of
"serious", since you are violating the "must" in paragraph 2 of section
11.7.3. of policy.

--
see shy jo