Re: message to remove boot cd

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> its rather i386 centric. PowerPC for example (sparc as well) does not
> have such a braindead boot order like x86, you can have a CD in the
> drive all you want (floppy too if you have a floppy drive) and it
> won't just blindly be booted[1], instead the boot-device is determined by
> the value of the `boot-device' variable in OpenFirmware, on powerpc
> and probably sparc this will be set to the hard disk debian was just
> installed on and not the CDROM or floppy drive.

Yes, but it's not incorrect to tell them to remove the CD and the
floppy, so I think it's ok.

Many arches, not just i386, will boot from CD-ROM or floppy, including
SPARC models.

I mean, sure, my SPARC Ultra 5 will boot from CD-ROM first if that's
inserted, and this model doesn't happen to have the capability to boot
from floppy.  But, like PPC, it varies from model to model.  I'm
perfectly aware of all this, as you well know.

I don't think we can cover the variances for ever model, and anyhow,
it will never *hurt* to remove the floppy/CD-ROM.

In short, it's a bit better than it was before.

As for 'boot-device' handling in OF, that is something that should be
handled by the bootloader configuration, not handled here (the warning
which happens prior to reboot).