Re: boot-floppies, busybox size reduction status

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 06:58:47PM -0700, David Kimdon wrote:
> busybox (1:0.60.1-5) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * turn on id and printf for boot-floppies
>   * turn off ash for boot-floppies, it segfauls in debootstrap
>
> -- David Kimdon <dwhedon@debian.org>  Tue,  2 Oct 2001 16:15:42 -0700
>
> id is used for modconf, printf is used by debootstrap.

printf is a shell builtin of debian's ash:

$ /bin/ash
$ type printf
printf is a shell builtin
$ exit

no need to bloat busybox with it.

> busybox route is in a different place from net-tools route, so I added
> a symlink, see patch below.

fix busybox, don't kludge.

> I haven't committed the tiny changes we need, they are small and are
> included in this message.  Once we have an official busybox similar to
> -5 above, or maybe once someone fixes the ash bug I'll commit.

busybox ash also breaks powerpc.  its obviously not ready for prime
time.  i really don't want the job of auditing every shell script used
in boot-floppies to see if it works with busybox ash, we know they
work with Herbert's ash just fine.

>  # some friendly symlinks
> +ln -sf /usr/bin/route $R/sbin/route

this is a kludge, fix busybox.