Re: Install From Floppy and CD-ROM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:06:35PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dmagaud@aol.com writes:
>
> > I didn't see any evidence of the drive in the boot messages.  I also
> > tried an old Red Hat boot disk and I *did* see a message about ide0,
> > which I presume is the CD-ROM drive.
>
> No, CD-ROM drives would come in as hd[abcdef] or whatever, unless I'm
> mistaken.

Yes.  ide0 is the first IDE controller.  Immediately following that line
will be lines for each device attached to it.  On my system (ATAPI CD-ROM as
the only device on the IDE controller) it looks like this:

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)

This would probably get more attention and help on debian-user.  Is there
some part of the installation documentation that directs users here for this
kind of problem?  The lists.debian.org pages make it clear that this list is
for boot-floppies development.

--
 - mdz