Re: busybox still too bloated

On Mon Sep 24, 2001 at 04:09:35PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> reopen 113503
> thanks
>
> busybox is still too bloated, 12k can be saved on powerpc by applying
> the rest of my patch, a new patch is enclosed here:

Too bloated for the powerpc boot floppies perhaps, but not for x86, arm, mips,
alpha, sparc, s390, etc....  Maybe we should take a look at whats wrong with
powerpc?   Lets be honest here -- busybox is an easy target for configuring
things out of, but it _used_ to work on powerpc.  I think other things have
gotten bigger and thats not my fault....

It would _really_ help if we knew exactly how much space you _need_ to make the
powerpc floppies go.  Does 12k really make the difference?  Isn't there
anywhere else we can get that space from?  For example, we already know we can
save at least 88k by switching from the dhcp-client to udhcp.  I'm certain
there are also other places where space can be saved.  Has anyone spent any
time trying to shrink yaboot?  Do you really need so many fdisks?  Can things
be shrunk in powerpc-utils?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, formerly of Lineo