Re: How many people need locales?

#include <hallo.h>
Michael Bramer wrote on Mon Sep 03, 2001 um 09:25:04AM:

> maybe you don't use it, but a lot of user don't speak english or can't
> understand it. We must support locales and if a user can't speak
> english he pay this price.

I had another idea: integrate it into boot floppies (*) so the user has
never have to face English. How?

- before the initial debootstrap run, the user gets a question from
  dbootstrap: "Would you like to install support for languages other
  than English (default)? This would eat up about 9MB disk space."

- debootstrap will be patched to accept an argument like
  --install-locales, then it would install locales

- When the work is done, dbootstrap would ask "Would you like to keep
  the current language during the rest of Debian installation? This
  would require the preparation of locales support and need some
  additional disk space"

- If "yes", the current localisation data could be written to a special
  file and used in baseconfig when it is running the first time.
  - Edit the /target/etc/locale.def file and enable the locale.
  - Run "chroot /target /usr/sbin/locale-gen" to generate the files.

Later, while doing other baseconfig jobs, it could also re-ask what you
suggested:

> Make a debconf question in base-config or in the locale package and
> ask the user
>  - install all locales
>  - install the locales from the list
> and write a nice /etc/loacle.gen and run locale-gen in the postinst.

And probably also:

"Would you like to change the localisation scheme completely to /foobar/? This would change the messages in your programs, the prefered charset, time/date formats and other stuff."

- Yes
- No
- All users but not root

If NO, it could ask for LC_CTYPE since it is often needed even if a
person does not like localized messages.

"Would you like to use localise'd charset (LC_CTYPE)? This is needed to enter
special charakters."

- Yes
- No
- All users but not root

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.

PS: (*) I don't know if anyone would complain about additional size of
dbootstrap when the mentioned code is added to it.
--
"In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making
good operating systems" (Linus Torvalds, August 1997)