Re: Alpha: aboot rescue disk

Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> currently, the rescue disk for Alphas with SRM/aboot doesn't work
> because e2writeboot fails. The first problem is that e2writeboot
> doesn't return a nonzero status on failure so this will go unnotified;
> I've tried filing a bug about this but the BTS is down.
>
> It fails because the disk is too full; it needs a continuos empty area
> and can't find one.

Which disk?  The RAM disk of root.bin ?  The target disk we're
installing to?

> First, it might help to install it onto the empty
> disk, when finding a continuos area is not a problem. I'll look into
> that. Then I wonder if the sys_map.gz (77k) is actually needed, or was
> it put there just because it fits so nicely?

Oh, you must be talking about the rescue disk.

Sys_map files are needed for kernel symbol debugging.  This file is
needed more after installation (kernel debugging) rather than during
installation.

> There's already a special case for some arch's not to add it, can I
> just include Alpha?

Yup.

> P. S. the mklibs.sh libm trick didn't seem to work

Meaning -- didn't reduce far enough?

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>