Re: experiences: installing new testing system from network

From: Brian May <bam@debian.org>
Subject: experiences: installing new testing system from network
Date: 03 Aug 2001 14:04:06 +1000

> Hello,
>
> Today, I installed Debian on a friends computer (so, sorry, but I
> can't test any solutions).
>
> this went mostly to plan, however several minor problems:
>
> - selecting "configure device drivers" (or what ever) did nothing, so
> I had to configure the network driver for the Intel Etherexpress 100
> manually.

Also install (disks-i386/3.0.8-2001-07-22) over nfs gives a dbootstrap
error.

> - debootstrap kept aborting with unidentified errors with
> ftp.monash.edu.au, ftp.au.debian.org, ftp.us.debian.org, but went OK
> for ftp.debian.org (sometimes, but not always, I saw file not found
> errors on the 3rd or 4th console); I think it needs to be able to
> recover better from errors, and more information on what went wrong
> would be good, too... It is possible to continue installing, if
> debootstrap won't work?
>
> - on reboot, as I manually configured the eth0 driver, I had to redo
> it again here, and put the result in /etc/modules.
>
> - I selected to use the Australian download (ftp.monash.edu.au) site,
> but it didn't use the Australian mirror of non-us.debian.org (which is
> stored on the same server).
>
> - selecting install X desktop environment did not install stuff I
> considered very important, eg. a window manager. So I installed
> sawfish-gnome manually.
>
> - I found it difficult to locate information for the video card in
> question - a Matrox G450. Apparently, it is not supported by X 4.0.3
> out of the box, and the driver needs to be downloaded from the
> manufacturers website (let me guess: this is probably a closed source
> driver...)  I think it should be clearly documented in the
> documentation of xserver-xfree86 what to do in cases like this.

Try mga (Matrox Graphics Adapter ?). Mga is associated to Matrox cards.

> Everything else went exactly to plan.
>
> Anyway, just my feedback, I hope you can use it to make Debian even
> better!
> --
> Brian May <bam@debian.org>

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  10 270 26 67                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting