Re: [PCI] building PCI IDs/drivers DB from Linux kernel sources

Hello Glenn,

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:30:15AM +1000, Glenn wrote:

> > In order to allow a kind of light detection of hardware to be use during
> > installation, I wanted to build a database (for PCI: I start with the
> > easiest...) with the following format:
> >
> > CLASS_ID	VENDOR_ID	DEVICE_ID	driver_name
> >
> > I have decided to write a script (you will find all the stuff attached)
> > parsing the Linux kernel sources in order to do that.
> >

> > Note: The DB constructed is _not_ garanty to be bullet proof. For example,
> > since this is only alpha tests, the class id are probably wrong for some
> > devices. Comments absolutely welcomed.
>
> I imported your db into gnumeric, sorted it to put the driver first,
> converted it to html (and .csv).
>
> http://people.debian.org/~bug1/dmod/linux-2.4.6-i386-pci.html
>
> A couple of possible problem entries
>
> The comma in the following
> 53c7,8xx  256  4096  1
> 53c7,8xx  256  4096  2
> 53c7,8xx  256  4096  3
> 53c7,8xx  256  4096  4
>
> and no number for device_id
> saa9730  512  4401  PCI_DEVICE_ID_PHILIPS_SAA9730
> pmc551  512  4528  PCI_DEVICE_ID_V3_SEMI_V370PDC

Yes, these ones are not defined (and I haven't found the correct numbers in
http://www.yourvote.com/pci/).

And indeed, specifically for debian-installer, we must have a look to
http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/