Instalation report

Hello all, this is a little installation report:

I got the latest woody root and rescue floppies, dd'ed them into
two floppies

The F5 help screen at boot time is fscked, the colors doesn't get
shown... I booted normally, when asked to insert root.bin, it
could not load the floppy... it gave me: floppy0 detect failed
or such...

I went to the net and got root.bin and drivers1.bin flavor 'compact'
the installation proceeded but when I went to configure the device
drivers it claimed that /lib/modules/2.2.19 had no modules for
configuring...

Of course, I was using rescue from the normal install system and
drivers from compact... I linked /lib/modules/2.2.19-compact to
/lib/modules/2.2.19, I forgot the io of my ne2000 isa card
so I decided to go back and get the rescue from the compact
directory...

rescue booted with the penguin logo with wrong colors... (is the
compact rescue.bin really meant to be fbuffer?)

After booting I get some number codes and then:

status=0
fdc_busy=0
cont=00000000
CURRENT=0000000000
command_status=-1

floppy0: unexpected interrupt
VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER
floppy0: unexpected interrupt
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c0 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c1 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c2 repl[1]=0
floppy0: sensei repl[0]=c3 repl[1]=0

I ignored this and inserted the root.bin disk.... after that it
detected RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0... but it
gave me errors while reading the floppy... I rebooted and went through
the process again...

The same things ocurred 'till it asked the root disk but it now
loaded it cleanly...

I chose my keyboard layout (where's the language selection? =()
used my old partitions for swap (/dev/hda6) and / (/dev/hda2)

went to install device drivers, it asked me for inserting rescue.bin,
did that, installed cleanly... asked drivers disk, inserted... it gave
me this error:

Floppy read error: the floppy unexpectedly ended.

how could that be? I used the same floppy the first time and
all went fine!

tried again... it went fine... quite strange went to configure
device drivers and modules... selected net/ne2000 and installed
it fine... installed some other modules

the network configuration went fine... now it was time to install
the base system... I wanted to install from network... it asked
me about what site to download from, I left it default, configured a
proxy (my main computer) and began downloading things...

when dbootstrap was downloading Packages.gz I stoped the process
to rebegin at night when telephone bills are cheap hehee =)

I'll send a new message as soon as I complete the whole process to
inform you how well it was...

thanks for the great work =)

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>