Re: base-8 disk

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Matt Kraai wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:16:53PM -0600, A. Roubicek wrote:
> > Thank you Matt! I had set a "/" partition too small for the base system...
> > (I followed the instructions in the installation website, but I guess one
> > has to play with dimensions a little...are there examples of partition
> > tables one can consult?)
>
> I don't know of any example partition tables.  Could you please
> let us know which part of the instructions is misleading?
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

I read at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-partitioning.en.html :
4.1.1 The Directory Tree

The following list describes some important directories. It should help
you to find out what your partitioning scheme should be. If this is too
confusing for you, just ignore it and reread it when you read the rest of
the installation manual.

      /: root represents the starting point of the directory hierarchy. It
contains the essential programs that the computer can boot. This includes
the kernel, system libraries, configuration files in /etc and various
other needed files. Typically 30-50 MB are needed but this may vary.

So I assigned something like 42 MB to "/", which was insufficient...I
ended up needing more than 75MB, not sure yet exactly how much because I
haven't finished the installation.

Thank you for your excellent service,
Andres.