Re: dhcp-client uselessness on powerpc

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 06:01:06PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:44:40PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > I've never had trouble with dhcp-client on my powerpc -- what gives?
>
> maybe its because i have a bootp server instead of a dhcp server, but
> accoring to the fucking manual that should not matter.

Maybe that's the difference, mine's a dhcp server. I don't suppose
you're in a position to test that? Are you using the bootp package?
Maybe I can scrounge a test system together.

> personally im thinking we should go back to pump but then i don't give
> a damn either way.

Actually, the reason I put dhcp-client in is that pump wouldn't work on
my powerpc. I guess we've gone full circle. :-\

Certainly it's easy enough to control since dbootstrap loads whichever
one it finds, so mess with the extract files to switch back and forth.

> another problem with dhcp-client is it prevents manual network
> configuration since the maintainer apparently won't remove or alter
> the initscript that runs it on every boot.  /etc/network/interfaces is
> how we do things since potato its time to move on.  (bug filed over a
> year ago).

The top of the init script on my machine looks like the following.

if [ -f /etc/network/interfaces ]; then
        grep -q '^iface.*dhcp' /etc/network/interfaces && exit 0
fi

Doesn't this mean that it exits if it encounters a dhcp entry in
interfaces?

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>