Re: boot-floppies 3.0.7 for m68k

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 09:46:27PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Seems I've been somewhat more lucky on Atari.
>
> Minor gripe: could we get the installer to add a leading / to the
> archive path when the dumb user forgot to put it there? Sure happened to
> me, you guessed it.

would that solution break other situations?  personally i wish we
could totally redo that awful dialog, it seems nobody understands it
and almost nobody can make it work.

> Well, now for the test results: I oould get all the way to starting to
> install the base system (that involves loading the ethercard module and
> configuring the network on this particular box; I guess Atari owners
> without ethernet card are pretty screwed at this point :-). debootstrap
> started and downloaded Release and various Packages.gz files. Actually,
> on the very first try it failed to get the Release file, dunno why.
> Kudos to the busybox maintainers for including ping which helped to
> verify that http.us.debian.org was, in fact, alive and reachable.
>
> So far, so pretty. The whole install ground to a halt with a message
> box:
>
> Failure trying to run: mount -t proc proc /proc
>
> and VC 4 had
>
> chroot: cannot execute mount: no such file or directory

this is a bug in debootstrap, its failing to extract the required
packages which it does before mounting proc.  i cannot reproduce this
any longer on powerpc.

it appears debootstrap does no error checking whatsoever in extract()
which would explain why this non-descriptive failure occurs.

can you find out what version of busybox these boot-floppies were
built with?  this problem went away for me as soon as i started
building with busybox 0.51-9.

> update-modules. The ramdisk had /bin/mount allright though (but copying
> that to /target/bin or /target/sbin didn't help). I recall reading a
> similar report either here or on debian-powerpc so I'm not telling
> anything new here I suppose.

proving that extract $required failed to do anything.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/