Re: basedebs and Boot Floppies

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:56:06PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Ok, again, sorry to be out of it, but what is involved for us to
> support basedebs support?  I guess we have to supply null -- I gues we

fix that giant pile of elephant dung that is choose_medium.c

> need to supply an option when the user is prompted for where to
> install basedebs.tgz from.  But what are the alternatives?  Mounted
> disk? NFS? Network? All of the above (oh god)?

the only sources im willing to allow for basedebs is NFS, harddisk,
and already mounted filesystem.

not cdrom, not network.  those can use the normal debootstrap method.

it would be nice if both a regular mirror archive and a basedebs could
be supported on the above, but from my first lookings at the
choose_medium mess that doesn't look very trivial to do.  (i could be
wrong though, i convinced someone else to look at it too).

i think its rare for someone to just have a disk laying around with a
complete debian mirror on it anyway, and if there is one on NFS its
not that big a deal to install apache.

(if you have a custom CD with a basedebs just mount it first and use
`already mounted filesystem).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/